Vegan Kulkuls (Indian sweet)

Many of you may not know this, but I was actually born in India and my parents are also Indian, although I moved to New Zealand at 4 and have grown up here. Growing up Christmas was one of my favourite times of the year, as my family gathered together and made lots of different traditional Indian sweets. It was a family tradition to make the same, simple yet delicious sweets every year. These kulkuls were one of them.
Kulkuls are an important part in sweet distribution to family and friends every Christmas, some also say that it is a form of Filhoses Enrolodas, the Portuguese Christmas sweet (although I do not know much about history, so feel free to enlighten me!)

This is traditionally made with butter and cows milk, however I didn't want to miss out this year, so I decided to twist my grandmothers recipes, and make it vegan!
I honestly have to say that it made NO difference. This batch tastes exactly the same! Even my parents agreed! These kulkuls are super sweet, golden, crunchy and so so delicious, and I hope you give them a try!

Vegan Kulkuls
300 grams plain flour
100 grams semolina (rava) flour
100 grams castor sugar (white sugar works fine too)
100 grams vegan butter or margarine (I used Olivani)
1/3 cup soy milk
1-2 tbsp water
oil for frying
Method:
1) Start by mixing all the dry ingredients together. Then add the butter or marge and using your fingers mix into the dry mix to form a bread crumb-like consistency.
2) Add the soy milk and mix till you form a smooth dough- add water or more milk if too dry.
3) Knead a few times so the dough is smooth.
4) To make the kulkul shapes use a kulkul roller (red tool in the picture) or the back of a fork works fine too. Roll out the dough into small balls, spread onto your tool of choice and fold upwards so the pattern is printed onto the dough. Make sure to roll it tightly so the shape doesn't unravel when frying.

5) Do this with all of the dough- this may take a while, which is why it's awesome to make these with family and friends.
6) Heat a pot of oil over medium heat until hot. To test the heat drop in one kulkul, if oil starts bubbling then it is hot enough.

7) Fry large batches until golden brown, then with a slotted spoon remove, drain excess oil and place in a colander or on paper towels.
8) Repeat with  remaining kulkuls.
9) Allow to cool so they become crunchy!

Note: Make sure your kulkuls are not too big otherwise they will not cook on the inside.
I really hope you give this recipe a try this holiday season! Try something new!

As always I would love to know if you ever make any of these recipes!
Instagram: @healthynzgirl
Email: healthynzgirl@gmail.com
Snapchat: kimzaay

Thanks so much!
Kimberley


Kulkuls forms an integral part of the sweets distributed to family and friends during Christmas. Some say that its a form of Filhoses Enrolodas, the Portugese Christmas sweet,

Read more at: http://www.goanfoodrecipes.com/2012/12/kulkuls-crunchy-and-golden-brown.html
Kulkuls forms an integral part of the sweets distributed to family and friends during Christmas. Some say that its a form of Filhoses Enrolodas, the Portugese Christmas sweet,

Read more at: http://www.goanfoodrecipes.com/2012/12/kulkuls-crunchy-and-golden-brown.html

Comments

  1. Could you please tell me where I can buy a kulkul roller.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment